Thursday, September 23, 2010

Review - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Paperback: 600 pages


Publisher: Vintage Crime / Black Lizard (June 23, 2009)

ISBN-10: 0307454541

This book is the first in a series and I picked it up because everyone has been raving about it for quite some time.

Mihkel Blomkvist is an investigative journalist who has just been found guilty of libel.  When an opportunity to take time off away from Millenium (the magazine he works for) and work for Vanger Corporation scion, Henrik Vanger he is intrigued.  He learns the assignment is a 40 year murder mystery.  He, along with his research assisstant, Lisbeth Salander find some very dark secrets and twists.

So, I had a terrible time getting into this book.  Seemed so slow and plodding.  Not to mention mroe details than I thought necessary.  Many times I almost put it down but I kept going thinking all these people I know who love it cant be wrong.  Then a co-worker told me that yes he thought the exposition too much as well, but the last 1/3 of the book is worth it, then the others in the series get better.

Okay, so I perservered.  The last third got interesting.  And I did enjoy all the twists even though the action seemed to be too short (compared to all the detail on non-action stuff. LOL).  And then we got to the revelations of the truth (mixed bag here too - it was an interesting twist but one I did not find too believeable) and his revenge on the man who he was convicted of libeling.  (satisfying).

Overall, I would give this book a "c" I guess.  Okay - good points and bad balance a lot out.  I will say I LOVE the character of Lisbeth Salander and SHE will be the reason I pickup the next book in the series.

Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Blotto, Twinks and the Intimate Review by Simon Brett

Blotto and his friend go see  Light and Frothy;   a new popular show and his friend falls for the star of the show.  After his friend is k...