Saturday, October 24, 2015

Review: Ghostly Paws by Leighann Dobbs

Willa Chance has returned to small town Mystic Notch after a career as a crime reporter 'down south' when she inherits a bookstore, home and cat.  When Lavinia, the town Librarian is murdered, her Ghost demands that Willa find her killer.

I enjoy cozies with a paranormal twist.  This is the first book in a series that I see the potential in. The characters are likeable and the book light and fun.

What I found frustrating though, was Willa.  I liked her and yet, she drove me nuts.  She would obsess on a suspect to the exclusion of the facts, started off with an antagonistic attitude to the sheriff investigating the case with no real basis and jumped in with a dramatic reveal scene where she accused the wrong person.  I hope to see more development of her character as the series progresses.

I also had an issue with her friend Pepper (owner of the local tea shop and a fun character otherwise) dosing people with herbs without their knowledge or consent.

Yet, I did enjoy the other elements of the story and felt that I will like the series more as it evolves.  There are elements of magic that have yet to be explored and a cast of characters which are interesting and engaging.  I also want to see more of the mysterious cats and their secrets.  So:  not my favorite but hopefully a good launching place for more to enjoy in the future.

Terri

  • File Size: 1353 KB
  • Print Length: 305 pages
  • Publication Date: March 12, 2014
  • Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
  • ASIN: B00IZ0ZY9E

1 comment:

Review: Blotto, Twinks and the Intimate Review by Simon Brett

Blotto and his friend go see  Light and Frothy;   a new popular show and his friend falls for the star of the show.  After his friend is k...