Tuesday, January 19, 2016

An Interview with Angie Fox

MM: Angie, tell us what genre you write in and why you write books?
I write paranormal mystery/romance and I write it because I love adventure stories with plenty of twists and turns, and of course, a hint of romance makes it all more fun.

MM: Give us the backstory on your life as a person and an author?
I'm a huge reader and at some point I started thinking about writing. After all, how hard could it be? I'm so glad I had no idea. But once I started telling stories, I was hooked and the rest is history.

MM: Where is your favorite place to write?
I have a gorgeous office, but my favorite place to write is on a super comfy chair by the fireplace, with my dog right next to me.

MM: Would you tell us about your writing schedule?
Yes, I'm a big believer in writing schedules. To me, it's important to show up everyday. I think that way, the muse knows where to find me (although sometimes - there are times when I think she's out getting coffee). I write from about 8:30 in the morning until around lunchtime. If I'm inspired to do more, I'll write a few hours after lunch. If my creative brain has checked out for the day, I'll go take a walk or catch up on correspondence.

MM: Living or Dead what five authors would you like to sit down and interview? What would you ask them?
Socrates, Shakespeare, Edgar Allen Poe, Jane Austen, and Stephen King. I'd get them talking about their writing processes and what inspires them, then let it go from there. It's not hard to get writers to talk about what makes them tick. I think we're all still trying to figure it out on some level.

MM: Is there shows that you like to binge watch?
The Walking Dead is so very binge-worthy. I'm watching it over again from Season 1 in preparation for the big Season 6 premiere this weekend. That and my husband and I have been known to binge on The Tudors, The Borgias, The Big Bang Theory, and Frasier. 

MM: I always have our authors attach their book covers, photos and anything else to the interview. Do you think your book covers are true to the book content of what you write? Do you have a book cover that means more to you?
I'm lucky enough to have had the same cover artist for nearly all my books. It's at the point where I've had her written into my contracts. I love her and she amazing. So, yes, I think she understands the tone of my stories and that is so important. The cover that means the most to me is the cover for my very first published book, The Accidental Demon Slayer, because I remember seeing it for the first time and realizing that this whole thing was for real.

MM: Is there a mentor, village of writers/friends/family you would like to thank?
My amazing critique partner, Kristin Bailey. She's the ying to my yang and I'm so lucky to have her. We've worked on every book together that either of us has sold/published.

MM: Is there an author whose books have inspired you to write?
Growing up, I loved the Nancy Drew books, Agatha Christie, Edgar Allen Poe, Jane Austen. I skipped class for an entire week in college when I started reading Anne Rice's vampire series (couldn't stop until I'd read them all straight through). Rhys Bowen, Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels and Charlaine Harris made me want to write mysteries. Heather Graham and Eloisa James made me want to add a touch of romance.

MM: Be our tour guide and tell us why you like living where you live?
I love experiencing all four seasons, and so St. Louis is for me. It's also where my (rather large) family lives and we're very close.

MM: What is your favorite song, movie, dessert, meal and season?
Song: The Monster Mash
Movie: The Shawshank Redemption
Dessert: my husband's cheesecake
Meal: Imos pizza
Season: fall

MM: What would your characters tell us about you?
That I have a sense of humor, I crave justice for all, and I think being kind can do a lot to make the world a better place.

MM: Tell us about your latest books? What can we expect in 2016?
I had two releases this past summer. One in the Southern Ghost Hunter series, about a girl who lets loose a ghost on her property. He gives her the power to see the other side, and she uses it to set some wrongs right. I also had a release in the Accidental Demon Slayer series, which follows the adventures of a demon slayer and her grandmother's gang of Harley-riding biker witches. Both series are based on my life. Just kidding. Mostly.

Next up, is a holiday novella in the Southern Ghost Hunter world, called Ghost of a Chance; and then a Southern Ghost Hunter mystery in March. That one's called The Haunted Heist.

MM: last but never least. Do you ever take the time to reread your favorite books?

Yes. And it is dangerous because I like to start from the beginning of a favorite series and read all the way through. I do this about once a year with the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters. I also have what I call my "comfort" bookshelf. Think of it like your favorite comfort food. If I've had a rough day and just need a warm blanket version of a book, I head to that shelf and usually just open up a book in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Blotto, Twinks and the Intimate Review by Simon Brett

Blotto and his friend go see  Light and Frothy;   a new popular show and his friend falls for the star of the show.  After his friend is k...