Thursday, February 18, 2016

Review: Thus was Adonis Murdered by Sarah Caudwell

A young woman goes to Venice and is accused of murdering a young man in her tour group.  Her co-workers back home read her letter and try to puzzle it together in a very irreverent way.  I don't know what I was expecting but I had trouble with this book.  I can certainly see the humor that is very British and over the top.  The story is told through a series of letters from the woman to them amidst much commentary and speculation from the co-worker group.  The language was hard for me to get into.  It seemed very pompous and annoying for a book set in the 1980s and I kept thinking I was in the wrong era.  Their commentary and speculation was an interesting way to tell the story but also fell flat at the same time (mostly I think because of the language and run on sentences).  

A lot of people really love this book and I will say it was different from a lot of detective fiction out there.  I just felt like it was more of a chore than a pleasure to get through.  As for the mystery itself -- it was interesting and certainly had a dramatic reveal.

Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Blotto, Twinks and the Intimate Review by Simon Brett

Blotto and his friend go see  Light and Frothy;   a new popular show and his friend falls for the star of the show.  After his friend is k...